What are bed bugs?
Bed bugs are small, wingless insects that are known for living in bedding and furniture, although in residence halls are more commonly found in cracks and crevices. While bed bugs aren’t known to spread disease, their bites can administer a small rash and can cause itching similar to mosquitos. Bed bug cases have been on the rise in recent years, and fast treatment is essential to eliminating the problem.
Where did they come from?
Bed bugs can travel on your clothing or luggage and can be picked up while visiting a friend’s room or when traveling. Anyone can pick up the bugs by coming in contact; it’s not about being dirty (although thoroughly cleaning your room helps to eliminate them).
How do I get rid of them?
Please notify Facilities immediately via work order at – fas.pages.tcnj.edu/workorder/
Enter your room and contact information, click on pest control, and briefly describe the extent of the problem. Our pest control company will inspect your room as quickly as possible. If bed bugs are found, your room will be treated and we’ll give you instructions on laundering your clothes and bedding. It can be a disruptive process, but your cooperation is essential in making sure it’s successful.
Can I change my room?
Because bed bugs are migratory, it’s imperative that you stay in your room. Changing your sleeping location only helps to spread the problem. Instead, thoroughly launder your clothing and bedding in hot water.
- Do not attempt to treat the room yourself. Applying pesticides will cause them to scatter and hide, making effective treatment harder.
- Take all precautions not to spread them to others. We know it’s difficult to stay ‘quarantined’ but this is the only way to ensure treatment is 100% effective.
- Remove any trash or clutter from your room. Less places to hide means more effective treatment.
- Your mattress will either be encased or replaced. Your mattress pad will have to be discarded.
- Place all your clothing in the laundry safe bags provided by Facilities and follow the instructions you’ll be sent in an email. These bags are designed for laundering clothes at a temperature hot enough to kill the bugs.
- Please complete the electronic intake form you’ll receive.