The College of New Jersey Logo

Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     Three Bar Menu

Summer Housing FAQ

Who is eligible for summer housing?

Summer housing is available only for undergraduate TCNJ students enrolled in summer classes, working full-time for a college department, participating in a summer program approved by Residential Education and Housing (i.e. MUSE), or those experiencing housing insecurity.

What is the cost of summer housing?

Summer housing costs $182.97 per week. The total for Session 1 (3 weeks) is $548.91, while Session 2 and Session 3 (5 weeks) is $914.85. Further, summer housing is billed based on the number of weeks in housing and not days. Information on the billing schedule can be found with Student Accounts.

What if I am not living on campus for an entire session?

Students are billed in full in advance for an entire session. Any refunds will be given to a student once they have officially checked out of their room. If a student is entering housing after a session begins, they will be charged in full on a pro-rated basis.

How do I sign up for Summer Housing?

Students need to put in the amount of time they wish to be in summer housing by entering a check in and check out date for the entire summer term. All of summer housing is done online via My Housing. Please view the summer housing timeline on the summer housing page.

Where do students live for the summer?

Summer housing will be located in Hausdoerffer or Phelps Hall for Session 1, 2, 3. Students living on campus for the the upcoming Fall semester that are here for Session 3 will be asked to move in to that assignment early. Although rare, students who are here for consecutive sessions may be required to move rooms in order to maximize our space and occupancy needs.

What types of rooms are available for me to live in?

Hausdoerffer and Phelps are apartment-style residence halls. Each apartment houses five students in one double and three singles. All room types will be available for students to select to live in. In an effort to maximize occupancy students may need to reside in double rooms.

How do I choose a room?

Due to the need to maximize occupancy over the different summer sessions students wishing to live on campus will be assigned by our office. Students will still be able to request potential roommates and given availability we will do our best to honor all requests but we can not make any guarantees based on availability and time students are staying.

What if I want to live with someone else?

You are allowed to live with someone else in summer housing, provided they have applied for the same session as yourself. In order to have the opportunity to live with another student(s), you both will need to list each other as requested roommates on the “Assignment Process & Roommate Requests” step of the Summer Housing Application.

What if I do not like where I am living during the summer?

If you are having roommate issues or any other concern about your living arrangement in the summer, please contact the student staff member on your floor or the professional staff member that oversees the residents in summer housing. They will work with you to rectify your situation.

What if I currently live on campus and will be living here for Session 1? What if I am currently in the apartments for the spring?

Since students will need to move out 24 hours after their last final – or when residence halls officially close for the Spring semester – all current Spring residents will need to move out by your designated Spring check-out date. Summer residents will then be eligible to move in to their assigned Summer space on the weekend prior to the start of Session 1. If you have specific questions regarding your transition from Spring to Summer, feel free to email Residential Education and Housing at

Can I be moved during summer housing?

In order to maintain occupancy and building service needs, students may be consolidated during or between any session. If this is to occur, our office will contact those students who are impacted directly. If you are here for Session 2 and Session 3 you may be asked to move from one space to another or if you are living on campus for the fall you may be asked to move into your fall space early.

Is there a meal plan associated with summer housing?

No meal plans will be provided for the summer of 2024 but Fresh Pride Cafe in the Brower Student Center will be open from 7:30am to 3:30pm for breakfast and lunch, Monday through Thursday (barring the College is not closed). At this location, students can pay with cash, credit or Get It points. While some summer camps and conference groups are on campus and the dining hall is operational, there may be additional opportunities to pay per visit at the Atrium at Eickhoff. For more information, a “Feeding Days” calendar should be made available by Sodexo.

As summer residents will be residing in the apartments, they will have access to a refrigerator, microwave and a two burner stove in their apartment as well as a full kitchen in their building. Students are encouraged to purchase groceries and dine in the apartments or order in from local area restaurants.

Any students looking to stay on campus who may be experiencing food insecurity should submit a CARE Referral to access resources through the Dean of Students Office.

Do I have to sign a contract?

Yes, you will be asked to sign a summer housing contract when you complete the Summer Housing Application. Students will not be issued keys to their room assignments until the summer contract is agreed to.

What if I need to cancel my contract or application?

Please contact our office via email ( if you are no longer interested in summer housing.

What if I am participating in the MUSE program or working for CES?

Our office will contact these students directly as it relates to which sessions to apply for and the assignment of rooms.

How does billing work for CES and MUSE?

If CES or MUSE is covering any or all portions of your summer housing, you will need to speak with those organizations to ask how they work with Student Accounts as it relates to your bill for summer housing. Residential Education and Housing must bill every student here for summer housing, regardless of whether it is covered through a different office on campus.

What if my question is not answered here?

Please contact Residential Education and Housing at, 609-771-2301 or 609-771-3455 and we will be more than happy to assist you with any questions you have.


Residential Education and Housing
Eickhoff Hall, Room 114
The College of New Jersey
PO Box 7718
2000 Pennington Rd.
Ewing, NJ 08628

609.771.2301 Phone
609.637.5165 Fax
Office Directory